Here is a link to my prototype for my Problem of Practice. I found this to be an incredibly difficult assignment. Prototyping is hard for me– I’m a perfectionist by nature and have always struggled with having a “rough draft” of a project or paper. I found myself getting frustrated that the programs I had planned to use either didn’t work like I was used to back when I flipped my own classroom last year, or I went to download them again and found they required a subscription. I guess so many people were hopping on the Flipped Train that developers saw a way to make some money. I can’t blame them, I suppose.

I learned several things throughout this process.

  • I learned to actually go back and look at my plans and sketches. I realized I was trying to do twice the work! I forgot that I had already figured out my path for how the information would flow from one part to another. I went back to an older blog post and found what I was looking for, and boy did that make this process much easier!
  • Technology, as awesome as it is, will let you down. Always, always have a Plan B. I learned that the hard way, too, when I was in my flipped class. So often students would come in with one technological problem or another, and eventually I had to tell them that they were responsible for figuring out a way to learn the material I had presented in the video; I didn’t care HOW they learned it, they just needed to learn it.
  • I need to have patience with the process and allow myself to make mistakes and imperfect creations, so that I have something to start with. I tend to focus too much on perfecting my product/creation that I lose sight of the bigger picture. Such is the case with this prototype; I KNOW my final product can (and will!) be much more engaging and interesting.

 

Advertisements